Monday, February 1, 2010

Om Namah Shivaya…

Is the ancient Sanskrit mantra from India, which means: “I honor the divinity that resides within me.”

As I previously wrote, I am starting a, well, I’m really going to put forth a conscious effort to write a “Book of the Week” post (or BoW, for those in favor of acronyms).  I have finally dived into Elizabeth Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love, and although I’ve only gotten through pages 1-39, I am so completely in love with it already.  The way she writes is so easy to connect with, as it feels as though she’s having a personal conversation with you, the reader.  Before I even could get to the official first page of the novel, I decided to read all of the praise it has gotten – I mean, these reviews are almost impossible to ignore, and if I didn’t read them first, I definitely would have gone back to read through the page.  Once you appreciate what other people have said about Gilbert and her writing, the excitement you feel to submerge into the novel is at an all-time high.

In addition to that Sanskrit mantra, here are a few other beautiful words I’ve already stumbled across in these first 39 pages (and don't worry, I'm not giving anything away from sharing these passages with you, especially if you have some idea about this novel):

"I want to have a lasting relationship with God.  Sometimes I feel like I understand the divinity of this world, but then I lose it... I want to be with God all the time.  But I don't want to... totally give up worldly pleasures.  I guess what I want to learn is how to live in this world and enjoy its delights, but also to devote myself to God" (p. 26).
"To find the balance you want... you must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that it's like you have four legs, instead of two... You must stop looking at the world through your head.  You must look through your heart, instead.  That way, you will know God" (p. 27).
"'Where did you get the idea that you aren't allowed to petition the universe with prayer?  You are part of this universe, Liz.  You're a constituent - you have every entitlement to participate in the actions of the universe, and to let your feelings be known.  So put your opinion out there.  Make your case.  Believe me - it will at least be taken into consideration'" (p. 32).
"'I recognize that you are busy with wars and tragedies and much larger conflicts than the ongoing dispute of one dysfunctional couple.  But it is my understanding that the health of this planet is affected by the health of every individual on it.  As long as even two souls are locked in conflict, the whole of the world is contaminated by it... It is my most honorable request, then, that you help us end this conflict, so that two more people can have the chance to become free and healthy, and so there will be just a little bit less animosity and bitterness in a world that is already far too troubled by suffering'" (p. 32).

So beautiful and pure and amazing.  I already am feeling differently from reading only this small amount from this novel.  My day two of reading begins later this evening =) and I’m really hoping I’ll get an earlier start so that I can just sit and read and absorb.

And now, the PoD for Monday, February 1st:

 
Story:  I chose three photos for today, as I have an equal amount of love for them all.  And also because they are from the same carriage door I walked past while visiting one of the ancient forts in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, in October 2008.  The detail of the hinges and the locks instantly drew me in, and I couldn't help but imagine the magnificence of the horses that would explode from these doors when leaving for battle.  That may be juvenile, but I've learned to see into objects from the world around me a little more deeply than others might.

Drop me a comment... I'd love to hear what you have to say about this batch! =)

1 comment:

  1. Ooo I love these pictures. They are so cool :) The different angles make these rusty door hinges look so interesting...like museum-like. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete