Wednesday, November 4, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance?

Last night, while watching my fave show ever, "So You Think You Can Dance," I was brought to tears and chills by one of the numbers performed.  Choreographer Stacey Tookey outdid herself once again on the show, and brought me to love and appreciate her work so much more than I already did.  Her piece, set to the song "2 Steps Away" by legend Patti LaBelle, portrayed a woman (Kathryn McCormick) held back by her fear (Legacy Perez).  The piece ultimately was communicating with the audience how people in general are run by their emotions, and with fear being such a strong, withholding, and constricting mental state, it is so easy to connect with this dance, no matter the experience you have or don't have with dancing.  Here is the link for the video on youtube (if anyone can help me just insert a video into my posts, I would very much love that!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Hqa9YJAmQ

I didn't like Legacy much after being introduced to him at his audition and during Vegas week.  He seemed so arrogant (kind of like Kayla Rodomski from Season 5) and why can't he just go by his real name, Jonathan?  Don't call yourself "Legacy" even if other people do; nothing irks me more than something like that.  Be modest about what other people think of you.  Sure, you have talent, but you don't have to take that one extra step into telling everyone that you know you're talented by going along with it and referring to yourself as "Legacy."  Anyway, I still don't like him too much as a person, but I thought that he was so gentle and his movements were so pure, even though he was portraying this blanketing emotion.  Kathryn, on the other hand, is so adorable and too under-the-radar for my liking.  I don't remember her much from auditions or Vegas week, just from the naming of the top 20 episode.  She is a very emotional girl, which I think really helps her in this particular piece, as she can readily portray what she is feeling, and what she is supposed to be feeling.  She has great talent and beautiful lines, and last week she really surprised me when she killed it in her hip hop number (choreographed by Dave Scott, who is also fantastic).  I think she'll be around for awhile, and I'm really excited about it.  Kathryn is a breath of fresh air and will be such an asset to this competition.  I actually would really like to see her partnered up with Jakob, Victor, or Nathan, as these are the strongest male contemporary dancers this season, and they could all bring out the best in each other.  I can't wait for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment